Religious Trauma Resources
Religious Trauma is deeply distressing damage caused by the authoritarian and dogmatic indoctrination of high-control religion.
These repressive religious environments are often coupled with emotional, mental, physical, or sexual abuse, as well as neglect. The traumatic impact is long-lasting and invasive, altering the trajectory of emotional development and the social functioning of an otherwise healthy person.
Leaving the flock adds enormous stress, as well as feelings of abandonment and alienation. The adjustment to a new life without their social system can be a shock. Sheltered people who’ve been taught to fear the secular world often struggle to find the independent thinking, confidence, and resilience needed to rebuild their lives.
But you are not alone!
For stories of what others like you have gone through and resources for empowerment, see my Instagram highlights. There is a community on the outside, and so much love. May you continue healing and discovering worth, value and freedom.
*Click on the image to go to Instagram for easy scrolling through the highlights.
- Deconstructing My Religion documentary
- I Survived ‘I Kissed Dating Goodbye’ documentary
- Keep Sweet
- The Way Down
- Shiny Happy People
Voices Exploring Religious Trauma:
- Religious Trauma Institute
- Linda Kay Klein
- Dr. Laura Anderson
- Exevangelical Podcast
- Talk Purity to Me
- Mindful Humanist
- Deconversion Therapy – funny!
- Unchurchable Podcast
- Phil Drysdale
- Nate Postlethwait (and also his @InnerChildChats on IG)
- Dirty Rotten Church Kids – also funny!
- Uncertain Podcast
- Tears of Eden
- Cait West
Find a trauma-informed therapist
Finding a good therapist is key to the healing journey. And note… “Christian counseling” is not the same as licensed and trauma-informed therapy. The Center for Trauma Resolution and Recovery is an excellent resource for therapy and coaching.
My Favorite Religious Trauma & Trauma-Healing Reads:
These are titles I’ve read through my journey. Not all of them represent where I am today but they are dear friends who got me here. I hope you find them helpful too.
- Dark Night of the Soul, by Thomas Moore
- The Making of Biblical Womanhood, by Beth Allison Barr
- Jesus and John Wayne, by Kristin DuMez
- The Body Keeps the Score, by Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Healing Developmental Trauma, by Dr. Lawrence Heller
- The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, by Sue Monk Kidd
- Wiving, by Caitlyn Myer
- Church Too, by Emily Joy Allison
- Educated, by Tara Westover
- Once You Go In, by Carly Gelsinger
- How to Be an Adult, by David Ricco (my favorite for integrating grief)
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, by Gabor Mate
- Toxic Jesus, by Marc Henri Sandoz Paradella
- Pure, by Linda Kay Klein
- Unfollow, by Megan Phelps-Roper
- Untamed, by Glennon Doyle
- No Bad Parts, by Richard Schwartz
*Note: these are affiliate links and you help support my work when you use them. Thanks!