Religious Trauma Resources
Religious Trauma is deeply distressing damage caused by authoritarian and dogmatic indoctrination of practices that result in feelings of terror, helplessness, horror. These repressive religious environments are often coupled with emotional, mental, physical or sexual abuse. The traumatic impact is long-lasting and invasive, altering the trajectory of emotional development and the social functioning of an otherwise healthy person.
Leaving the flock adds enormous stress, as well as feelings of abandonment and alienation. The adjustment to a new life without their social system can be a shock. Sheltered people who’ve been taught to fear the secular world often struggle to find the independent thinking, confidence, and resilience needed to rebuild their lives.
*This page is constantly changing. Please forgive any missing info and check back for updates.
Find support and information on Religious Trauma:
- Religious Trauma Institute
- Linda Kay Klein
- Deconstructing My Religion documentary
- Dr. Laura Anderson
- Exevangelical Podcast
- Talk Purity to Me
- Mindful Humanist
- Deconversion Therapy – funny!
- Unchurchable Podcast
- Phil Drysdale
- Nate Postlethwait (and also his @InnerChildChats on IG)
- Clarice expanding
- I Survived ‘I Kissed Dating Goodbye’ documentary
- Shannon Bonne
- Dirty Rotten Church Kids – also funny!
Find a trauma-informed therapist
Finding a good therapist is key to the healing journey. And note… “Christian counseling” is not the same as licensed and trauma-informed therapy. The Center for Trauma Resolution and Recovery is an excellent resource for therapy and coaching.
My Favorite Religious Trauma & Trauma-Healing Reads:
- Dark Night of the Soul, by Thomas Moore
- The Making of Biblical Womanhood, by Beth Allison Barr
- Jesus and John Wayne, by Kristin DuMez
- The Body Keeps the Score, by Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Healing Developmental Trauma
- The Dance of the Dissident Daughter
- Church Too
- Once You Go In
- I Am Yours
- How to Be an Adult
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts
- Toxic Jesus
- A Voice from Inside